The 2017-2018 Season is here! We have posted our new season schedule. The list of events and series is also available via our Google Sheet. You can also stay up-to-date with The Bay Cup by signing up for our weekly newsletter. We are exciting about the offerings and changes for this season. Here are some highlights:
1. We are splitting the Y14MF and Y14WF series into two series each: Div3 (D and lower) and Rated (E and higher). Making this change to address the event size (which had grown significantly the last few years) and to increase the opportunities to earn ratings.
2. We are combining the Y10WS and Y10MS into one mixed series, Y10XS (based on small event size for the individual M and F series)
3. We added one trial event: an A-rated mixed epee (with 2 rounds of pools seeding to DEs, it will be a small event and the 2 rounds to DEs simulates the NAC formula for this year).
4. For Div 1 Mixed Epee, there will be 2 rounds of pools to DEs, for the same reasons as above.
5. Unrated Men’s Epee and Unrated Men’s Foil – we are bringing back these two mini-series (2 events each) this season
6. Rite of Passage events (unrated ME, WE, MF, WF, MS, WS) – designed for first time competitors to ease them into competing
7. We are adding a Div2 MF mini series (2 events)
8. Not bringing back Vet Mixed Team Foil – had low interest and participation this season (only 1 team for initially scheduled date, and then only two for final date). Maybe the following season?
9. To help alleviate the strain on the limited referee pool: the Div 1, A only, and Team events will be self-reffed (we’ll require one rated Head Ref to be present to help resolve any ref issues or challenges). We still face a shortage of referees for Bay Cup events. Fencers at the Div 1 level should know the rules and have some reffing experience.
10. We are adding the requirements that the Head Referee at all Bay Cup events be rated, so that there is a least one rated ref at all Bay Cups.